Hot tubs are a luxurious and relaxing way to enjoy your time at home. But did you know that regular maintenance is key to keeping your hot tub in peak condition? One of the most important tasks is draining your hot tub.
This blog post will explore why draining your hot tub is so important and the best methods for doing it safely and correctly. We’ll also advise on how often you should change the water, ensuring your hot tub remains clean and hygienic for years to come. So if you’re ready to get started, read on!
Why you should drain your hot tub
If you own a hot tub, you need to drain it regularly to keep it clean and functioning correctly. You should drain your hot tub at least once every three months. Draining your hot tub will take some time and effort, but it’s worth it to keep your hot tub in good condition.
There are several reasons why draining your hot tub is essential:
- It allows you to clean the inside of the tub thoroughly. When you drain the water, you can scrub the sides and bottom of the tub to remove built-up dirt.
- Draining your hot tub allows you to inspect the inside for any damage or leaks. This is especially important if you’ve had your hot tub for a while and it’s starting to show its age. By inspecting the inside of the tub, you can catch any problems early and fix them before they become more significant issues.
- Avoid having a hot tub rash. Pseudomonas folliculitis, also known as “hot tub rash,” occurs when contaminated water and bacteria remain on the skin for extended periods and infect skin pores. Folliculitis results in rashy, irritated bumps on the skin and hair follicles and can also cause headaches, mild fever, and fatigue.
Read more about Folliculitis in our previous blog here.
How to properly drain a hot tub
If you own a hot tub, you should remember that one of the most important aspects of hot tub care is draining and refilling your tub regularly. But why is this necessary, and how do you properly drain your hot tub?
Draining and refilling your hot tub regularly helps to remove built-up dirt, grime, and other contaminants that can cause problems with your hot tub’s operation. It also helps to prevent the growth of bacteria and other organisms that can make you sick.
There are two ways to drain a hot tub:
- By using your hot tub drain valve
- By using a submersible pump
Draining your hot tub by using the drain valve
We’ll walk you through the basic steps to drain your hot tub using the factory drain valve:
- Start by turning off the power to your hot tub – this is important for safety reasons.
- Next, locate the drain valve on your hot tub, usually located near the bottom of the tub.
- Then, you need to attach a garden hose to the drain valve and route the hose away from the hot tub.
- After that, open the drain valve and allow the water to drain from the hot tub.
- Once the water has finished draining, close the valve and remove the hose.
- Lastly, turn on the power to your hot tub and allow it to fill back up with fresh water.
Draining your hot tub by using a submersible pump
If you’ve invested in a submersible pump, here is how to use it:
- You’ll need to remove the drain plug from your hot tub to use a submersible pump.
- Once the plug is removed, insert the pump into the drain hole and turn it on. The pump will start drawing the water out of your hot tub and into its reservoir.
- Once the water level in your hot tub has dropped significantly, you can turn off the pump and remove it from the drain hole.
- Then, replace the drain plug, and your hot tub will be ready for use again.
What to do with the water after you’ve drained your hot tub
If you’ve adequately drained your hot tub, you can use the water for various things. For example, you can water your plants or lawn, wash your car, or even clean your deck or patio. Just make sure you don’t use it for drinking water, as the chemicals in the water can be harmful.
Draining your hot tub is a necessary part of its maintenance. By draining your hot tub, you will help to extend the life of the components and keep it functioning correctly. It is important to remember to do the draining regularly to ensure maximum performance and longevity of your hot tub.
With proper care and maintenance, you can ensure that your hot tub remains enjoyable for years to come!
Purchase Your Hot Tub Today
If you’re ready to own a hot tub, call Modtub today. We’ve created the most transparent purchasing process in the industry. We’re locally owned in Houston and Dallas, Texas, and we support American manufacturers by keeping 100% of our products made in the USA. Check out how it works, where we’ll tell you how to get your Modtub in 3 easy steps.
Call or text us today at 713-804-6015 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.